8.26.2011

Things have been quiet here lately...

There hasn't been anything to respond to for a bit, so I shall take it upon myself to (maybe) start a conversation.

Over the last week or so, I've begun to step away from some of the champions I traditionally play, such as Rumble, Maokai, and Mordekaiser. Instead, I have been trying out a few champions of different play styles, and I've been having quite a bit of fun in the process.

The first of these is Gragas. He's a champion I've long been interested in, but I never got around to trying him. What with him being free, I decided enough was enough and finally gave him a go. A day after first playing him, I had spent all of my IP to buy him. I have a feeling that he would probably be decent as a tanky dps character, but AP Gragas is just too much fun. His ultimate in particular is worth mentioning; you can get the cooldown on it to somewhere between 30 and 40 seconds. That is absolutely amazing for a move that can change the game as much as that. Also, the unintentional comedy of saving an enemy champion's life with it is always good for a laugh.

Wukong is another one that I've been playing a lot lately. I really enjoy his style of play; he's a very nimble champion and it's great to be able to duck in and out of combat by using his stealth skill (the name eludes me). He has decent burst damage and his ultimate is very powerful, mainly for the knock-up effect (though the damage isn't to be sneezed at either). He fills a role I have been long seeking to fill: being someone sort of like Xin Zhao who isn't actually Xin Zhao (I'm not sure why I dislike Xin Zhao so much, I've heard he's not even that good at higher levels of play).

Finally, there's Kog'Maw. I had previously been playing as Ashe as my ranged AD character of choice, but I decided that you see quite a few Ashe players but Kog'Maw tends to be neglected. I do believe that he's trickier to play than most ranged AD characters; he's fairly slow and squishy. As a consequence of this, good positioning is even more important for him than other champions in a similar vein. I've had mixed results when playing as him in the middle lane, but a side lane with a support champion (Soraka is ideal) or a strong laning champion (I had a good time pairing up with Rhizophora as Galio) tends to work out quite nicely. You're basically an artillery unit when you play as Kog'Maw, and when you get things right it feels fantastic.

An honorable mention goes to Swain, who is also great deals of fun now that I'm actually starting to play him properly and not lose as catastrophically as before.

So, there you have it. Thoughts? Musings? Erotic limericks? If you combine all three I may be tempted to buy you a drink sometime.

1 comment:

  1. I think that I too suffer from LoL wanderlust. I usually play a champion til I understand the playstyle, I'm pretty good with them, and I've had my fun. Then I generally move on to find the new hotness.

    Gragas was one of my loves. And I still really really like him, I just became convinced of his need for farm and a solo lane and I became disillusioned when I repeatedly did not get that solo lane and wound up being just underwhelming on my team.

    Kog'Maw I really liked playing, but I played him before his massive buffs and I just remember him being underwhelming, and I suppose I still hold that against him...

    Swain is fun... But he's really not very good right now. It's kinda sad, he's just been slowly and gradually nerfed until he's just not really that playable anymore.

    There was a thin man named Gragas
    Who partook of too much cannabis
    He switched over to grog
    Drank his excess of nog
    Now his stomach is stretched out like haggis

    The champion everyone hates named Vayne
    One night went fully insane
    Too much she drank
    Went home with Blitzcrank
    Now her privates are wracked with pain

    ReplyDelete